Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Grades

DO you remember that famous phrase in school... it usually came after you got your tests or papers handed back.... "WHAT'D YA GET?" I always hated that comparing game. I never got steller grades so I used every excuse in the book NOT to show anyone what I got.

In High School, I did 'ok'- not straight A's by any means. But most of my class (of 19 students) would always compare how they did to my grade. I hated that!

Surprisingly enough, grad school is no different. Ben's been telling me that a lot of people are still asking him "how'd ya do?" or "what'd ya get?" WHO CARES what someone else got? If you worked hard and did your best... what does it matter? Seriously people. You are not there to get the "who did the best" award. Or to get your sense of satisfaction because you did better than someone else.

Especailly in Seminary, if you are there because God has called and is calling you to ministry for HIM, why should other people's grades or performance matter? I know God is calling Ben to be a counselor. God opened the door to Denver Seminary. Ben is doing his best and working his hardest = God will bless that because HE has Ben here.

Now after my ranting on grades... Ben just got his grades back for the fall semester. Let me tell you - this was a HARD semester. From patronizing professors, to professors who put their personal lives before teaching and cancelled the class half way through and then never returened calls or emails... He even had a professsor (yes this is grad school ladies and gents) who took attendance every morning in a 2nd grader fashion.

On top of this full course load, Ben worked 20+ hours a week at startbucks (which usually meant 4:30 AM shifts), he also was an excellent and attentive husband.

In summary... I'm am writting all this to let the world know (and Ben might be mad I'm saying this) but my wonderful hard working husband got ALL A's. I am so proud of him. He earned every single one.

Nahum 1:7:
The LORD is good,
a refuge in times of trouble.
He cares for those who trust in him.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

Congrats to Ben! I am sure that felt good after such a difficult semester. You'll have to celebrate!

Aimee said...

Ditto to Kristen's comment! Definitely celebrate that accomplishment :) I can totally relate to your blog... Shane deals with the same garbage. Most of his classmates are straight out of undergrad and still in that habit, so I can understand to some point. But Shane has done SO well - and I'm a proud wifey myself :)