Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Purim

HAPPY PURIM everyone! If you don't know what Purim is.. Shame on you! No, just kidding. Purim is the holiday the Jews celebrate to commemorate the story of Esther.

Esther is my favorite Bible character. I remember my first Bible was a picture Bible and I had my mom read that story over and over and over. I even remember the pictures so clearly! Esther was so beautiful.

Another memory I have of Purim is the Purim plays my Sunday School class put on every year. Now mind you my Sunday School class consisted of me, my brother- Bryan, and my cousin- Emily. Of course ever year I HAD.. I mean threw a temper tantrum HAD.. to be Esther. Which means my brother always played both King Ahasuerus and Mordecai. And poor Emily always ended up playing Haman, the bad guy. EVERY YEAR! I think maybe the last year we did it, Emily got to play Esther. I'm so sorry Emily. Looking back, I was quite a brat for doing that.

The plays were simple, but meaningful. My mom and aunt put so much work into them and trying to get the 3 of us to perform it with some historical accuracy. I remember these noise makers that every time the name Haman was mentioned, everyone Booed and made noise. So much fun to elementary school kids.

The other great thing about Purim is the hamentaschen. I guess all Jewish holidays come with some great sweets. You can't separate us Jews and our food or a reason to eat. :)

My interesting fact about the book of Esther is that the word "GOD" isn't mentioned once. But God plays an important part in the story.

My favorite verse in Esther is 4:16. It shows her faith and courage and her willingness to risk her life to save her people:
"Go, gather together all the Jews who are in Susa, and fast for me. Do not eat or drink for three days, night or day. I and my attendants will fast as you do. When this is done, I will go to the king, even though it is against the law. And if I perish, I perish."
Happy Purim everyone!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Such happy memories! You were a beautiful Queen Esther! I bet you could remember the part if you had to do it today! Hee-hee